A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Saturday 23 July 2011

Introducing Sandra

Hi everyone - sorry I forgot to introduce myself earlier.  I'm probably the granny of the group - 64 in years - but inside my head I'm still nineteen.  I live alone (as a human) but with two cats who seem worryingly intensely interested in everything I do.  I have recently developed the top floor of the house (large Leeds terrace) into studio space - think linen cupboard and storage on the landing, large sewing-room with everything the right height thanks to kitchen going cheap on ebay plus design/painting/printing room.  Planning to downsize and move to Northumberland if I can a)stop what I'm doing long enough to decorate the house ready for sale (trouble about being retired is you can no longer afford to pay someone to do such things)  and b) find a place with large studio space with attached living accommodation.  So no need to hold your breath - though I am getting there a bit at a time.

Husband (died in 2000) was a painter (pictures not walls) and restorer of paintings and taught me a lot about art even if sometimes it nearly led to divorce (I did think that teaching someone about perspective by getting them to draw Whitby rooftops was somewhat unreasonable - for those who don't know Whitby, houses are higgledy-piggledy and all different sizes as well as being on hills and up steps and things...)  I also did a second degree in Cultural History which opened my mind to all sorts of things way back at the end of the sixties.

After a long time teaching English I was finally invalided out with CFS/ME when I took up quilting as therapy in 1993.  Later I tried to run a fabric-dyeing business (OK at dyeing, useless at business) during which I met Marion for the first time.  Then a hiatus until sometime around 2006 or so when I discovered art quilting and later computers and blogging, not to mention the Contemporary Quilt group.  As you can imagine I have no trouble filling my time, though I will admit I am by nature an arch-procrastinator.

Oh and I tend to talk too much.  Sorry about that!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sandra, Yet another journey of discovery. Thank you for sharing your life in a nutshell with us!! I have been to Whitby, and can understand your pain. Torture. I'm very envious of your space at the top of your house; it sounds brilliant fun.

I hope you have fun here and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Angela said...

Sandra, I adore Whitby! In my very first Quilt University class I created a large pictorial quilt of Whitby including all those higgledy-piggledy houses going up the hill to the abbey and more recently a brightly coloured smaller quilt made in the colours of the beach huts. Her's a link to my Whitby quilts...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patchworkmad/sets/72157627143457109/

Angela

Sue Krekorian said...

Sorry to hear you are also an CFS/ME pensioner, like me. However, like me, it seems it gave you the opportunity to explore your creativity more so thank goodness that cloud has a silver lining for us both! Never yet been to Whitby but one day, I hope...

Sandra Wyman said...

Angela - love your Whitby quilts - you've really caught the higgledy-piggledyness of the buildings. Also the way the abbey seems to float over the town!

Sue, I'm luckier than you - my ME/CFS has diminished considerably over the years - these days it just jumps out and surprises me occasionally! But it is good to have someone around who understands how it is...

Angela said...

Thanks very much Sandra :o) Sue, it's well worth a visit!