A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Sunday 31 July 2011

Hi From Julie

I thought it was about time I said hello to everyone here, especially as I see from the list that I am one of the last to do so.  I know quite a few of the names here and am a bit overawed by the calibre of the participants but I am looking forward to the challenges and to learning and sharing in this environment.

As some of you probably know I don't work as I have CFS and I came to quilting by a circuitous route but one that I am finding is quite common.  For about 6 years in the early 2000's I concentrated on painting in oils and watercolour but gradually got drawn into looking at fibre art and thence to quilting.  You can see my work on my blog at http://mixedmedia-jem.blogspot.com   My original idea was to paint on fabric but so far I haven't done much of that.  Maybe this is my chance to try?

It was a random visit to the Festival of Quilts in 2004 that set me off on this whirlwind path of joyful play with farbics, dyes, threads and embellishments.  I still don't know where I am going but I am enjoying the ride. 

I have an idea for this first challenge of Shadow and Light so the next thing is to get on with it! lol 

Many thanks to Annabel, as ever, for having the idea and the drive to bring us all together and I look forward to seeing how we all interpret this theme.  Slightly scary is the thought of thinking of a theme when it's my turn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there Julie...glad you made it and thanks for joining us.

The idea is to have a bit of fun if we can, so if it comes to yours or anyone's turn, and you don't fancy setting a theme, no problem as someone else will.

I didn't know your original idea was to paint onto fabric before being sidetracked by the glories of all things textile. As you know, I started the other way round!

I've got heaps of ideas for light and shadow, but think I might struggle with time as I've just started a new piece. However, I WILL come up with something - a dry run for a large piece perhaps. I need a naked man though, and DH says Hell will freeze over first before he'll oblige. I guess I shall have to pay for the pleasure. Find me a naked man someone!!